Everyone knows that a classic churro is dusted with cinnamon sugar and traditionally filled or dipped with authentic flavors such as chocolate and dulce de leche. But, did you know you can flavor your churros any way you want? The possibilities are endless but the outcome always ends with you enjoying a delicious treat. Let's talk about some ways to get creative with your churro toppings.
For toppings and embellishments feel free to experiment with candy, crushed cookies, cereal, and even crickets!
Here are some of our favorite creative churro creations we’ve seen:
For a cookies ‘n creme-inspired churro, purchase sandwich cookies such as Oreos. To make a filling, scoop the cream from the wafer cookies and place it into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat the cream fillings in increments of 15 seconds, stirring periodically until the cream has fully melted. Then, finely crush the wafer cookies in a separate bowl for the top of your churros. Fill the churros with the oreo cream and dust with cinnamon sugar and oreo dust. Drizzle chocolate fudge sauce on top and add more cookie crumbles to your heart's content.
Here are some other quick ideas of topping ideas to spice up your next churro party:
- Try using Fruity Pebbles to top a churro with a cereal-milk-infused, sweet cream filling.
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch is the perfect churro flavor. For super cinnamon lovers, embellish your churro with cinnamon sugar and make a cinnamon cream cheese filling. Finally, top with crushed Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal.
- Use crushed Apple Jacks cereal to top your apple pie-inspired churro, filled with an apple compote, and drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Crushed pretzels and/or potato chips pairs well with a caramel filling for a perfect salty/sweet, cookie-inspired churro! Go the extra mile and top with crushed M&Ms and chocolate drizzle.
- If you’re a girl scout cookie fan, fill your churros with chocolate sauce (we love to warm up Nutella for a fast and easy filling), drizzle with caramel, and top with shredded coconut.
- For a german chocolate cake-inspired twist, mix the caramel sauce and shredded coconut together for your filling, drizzle with chocolate sauce, and top with finely chopped pecans.
- Craving a tropical island getaway? Make a pina colada churro with pineapple cream filling. Skip the cinnamon sugar and dust it with colorful yellow sugar. Drizzle coconut cream and top with shredded coconut. Add a cocktail umbrella for decoration and you will be transported straight to the Caribbean.
- For a tiramisu-inspired churro, dust with cocoa powder instead of cinnamon sugar and make an espresso-infused mascarpone cream filling.
- Feeling green? Make a pistachio-lime glaze with milk, powdered sugar, lime, and green food coloring. Top with chopped pistachios.
- For a classic birthday cake churro, fill your churros with your favorite vanilla frosting and make a simple glaze. Top with colorful sprinkles for a dessert your kids will adore.
- If you think breakfast should be served for every meal, make a maple glaze with maple syrup and powdered sugar and top it with bacon bits.
- Celebrate the holidays any time of year with Christmas-inspired churros, using crushed candy canes to decorate.
Other topping ideas include:
- Freeze-dried fruit
- Chopped nuts
- Chocolate chips
- Crushed candy
- Crushed cookies
- Nut brittle and toffee
- Caramel corn
- And more!
What fun new flavor combinations will you come up with? Tag us on Instagram at @SanDiabloChurros so we can see your creations.
Check out our online recipe book for more detailed filling flavor ideas and churro-making hacks!