- I’m trying to create a healthier churro so I’m looking for more natural filling alternatives with less added sugar.
- I’m a fan of nontraditional desserts.
- I’m ballin’ on a budget so I want to use what I have around the house to fill my churros.
- I’ve made so many churros using my Fiesta in a Box kit that I’ve run out of dulce de leche.
- I want to see how creative I can get with my churro flavor combos.
- I’m making churros for someone else so I want to use their favorite flavors for customized churros with a personal touch.
- I’m just looking for new churro-filling ideas.
Do any of these statements sound like you? Then you are in luck! Here are some ideas for how to raid the kitchen cabinet and make some super delicious churro fillings.
Jams, jellies, and preserves: Use your favorite store-bought or homemade fruit fillings. You can also make a super easy fruit compote if all you have is frozen fruit. Throw your favorite fresh or frozen fruit (berries and stone fruit work best) into a pot on the stove at medium heat and add a little juice to get a sauce going. If your fruit is sour, add some sugar. For more flavor, add ginger, cinnamon, or another spice of choice.
Nut butters and dessert spreads: Nutella and peanut butter are classics. You can heat them both up for an easy filling or add some extra ingredients such as sweetened condensed milk and heavy whipping cream for a fluffier, sweeter, frosting-like filling. Use your favorite alternatives to peanut butter like almond butter, sunflower butter, cashew butter, and pistachio butter-- the options are limitless. For Nutella alternatives, we love Biscoff spread and Speculoos cookie butter as churro fillings.
Here’s what you’ll need to turn your favorite nut butter into frostings:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (or your choice of alternative nut butter)
1/4 stick of butter, softened
3 tablespoons of heavy cream
How to make: Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and beat ingredients together using a handheld or stand mixer. If the mixture is too thick, add more cream. Adjust sugar to your preferences.
Honey, syrup, and more: Maple syrup and honey are delicious on their own and easy to transform into something even more special for churro fillings. Maple glaze/frosting is easy to whip up and can create a delicious breakfast-inspired churro. Get creative with your usual waffle toppings and add them to your churros!
For more filling and topping ideas and flavor, combos check out our online recipe book.